Thursday, December 27, 2007

The Girl in the Cafe

A while ago I signed up to receive a DVD on tour. The name of the DVD is called The Girl in the Cafe, info on the tour can be found here. Ingrid is doing a great job of getting this dvd on the circuit. (I personally am a one-person slow down) This movie is about one person speaking out and actually moving out of their comfort zone and saying/doing something about a situation they care about. This movie is about making you aware of a situation. Yes, the movie is centered around a G8 conference and whether or not the G8 nations are going to do something about international poverty. I felt the actual storyline was more than that... I felt it was about our personal responsibility to take a look around us and become aware of what is going on in our world. Become aware and informed. I've always felt that it is important to become knowledgeable about issues--we can't know about them all, so pick one or two, know them and care about them. share the information you have with your friends. and elect your officials based on their knowledge.

One thing I do know, global economics is not going to solve poverty issues, the only thing global economics is going to do is make money for Walmart; and they aren't helping poverty issues at all--at home or abroad--as a matter of fact, they create them. it is one reason why I simply refuse to give them one penny of my money. I work hard for my money and I refuse to hand it over to people who act and think like they do. Another economic practice we do at home, is to imagine the person's face that made the object we're buying--if we can't do it... ie it is a nameless endless factory issue, we really question whether we need or want it. we do this with all our purchases and have for several years. our practices may not stop poverty but we'd like to think they don't help create the economic black holes.

We also reuse, reduce and recycle as much as possible. I love consigment shops.

Economic responsibility begins at home for all nations. As individuals, we need to look at ourselves and see what we're contributing and also force our elected officials to actually make a difference. something we've obviously not been doing the last 8 years. giving doesn't come with strings. it comes with benefits.

Thanks for the DVD tour, Ingrid, I'm posting it now to New York.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thank you so much for your review and for passing it on!

Happy New Year!

kate said...

Good review ... I was on 'The Girl' circuit back in July.

Knitting and gardening - two of my passions just north of you in Canada. My knitting consists solely of making scarves using beautiful yarns. One of them is winging its way across the ocean to Ingrid.

Happy New Year!