Thursday, February 21, 2008

Global Warming--what do you believe?

So, after all the hysteria from Al Gore has settled down what do you believe about global warming?

I believe we're coming out of an ice age. I've read several papers and understand that some of the data we're basing initial CO2 levels on is probably flawed. I also know that some places where we're capturing "baseline" temperatures whereas at one point they were in the middle of nowhere they are now surrounded by asphalt and cities, which can significantly alter their readings. I also know that capturing 50 years of climatic data, isn't a model of world changes. Hell, lets face it, we can't accurately predict the weather on a day to day basis.

On the other hand.... I also believe that, as a rule, humans are pigs and we, especially the last two gimme generations --and the one we're raising now, wow, can I see it in kids, believe that anything they want they can have instantaneously--and even more so, that they should. this has several (un)intended consequences. I use paranthesis because when we refuse to think about the effects of our actions, they become intended consequences. the whole plastic water bottle phenomena--is it really that hard to bottle water from your tap? plastic materials period... we all know, we've been told a million times that plastics are one of the hardest materials on the environment in terms of energy to produce and that once produced, here forever.. yet I don't see a lot of thought in folks as they merrily walk down the aisles of anywhere picking up plastic. esp junk plastic--that irritates me the most. or being unwilling to pay a couple more dollars for ketchup in a glass container. does it take more effort to be an efficient consumer and say no to your kids? sure it does. will it pay off in the long run? I'll let you work that out in your own head. we do it, it takes conscious thought all the time, and sure its easy to be lazy. but I just keep coming back to the idea of: I worked hard for my money and I want to spend it responsibly.

another thing that bothers me is the assumption that if it is on the shelves it must be ok... hairspray or thalidomide anyone?

the FDA or pharmaceutical companies haven't shown me they have my best interests at stake yet.

think for yourselves. its only your lives, and the lives of your grandchildren at stake.

No comments: